Thursday 22 January 2009

Not Knowing What You Don’t Know

The Unknown
As we know,
There are known knowns
There are things we know we know
We also know
There are known unknowns
That is to say
We know there are some things
We do not know
But there are also unknown unknowns
The ones we don't know
We don't know.
Donald Rumsfeld: Feb. 12, 2002, Department of Defense news briefing

Sitting on my desktop and printed in my meeting folder is a mindmap that I created a few years ago. The title is “The Common Causes of M&A Failure”. I refer to the mindmap at least every week. It is a constant reminder to me in my work with my clients of the things to avoid. Our M&A assignment delivery process is based upon avoiding these dangers by preventative action EARLY in the process. This follows the great statistician William Edwards Deming model.

In this blog every now and again when the inclination takes me or when I see a good example from our industry, I will focus on one particular element of the “Common Causes of M&A Failure”. Some of the titles I am intending to write I have listed below, to hopefully entice you to come back:


  • Get Your Ducks Aligned BEFORE you Start
  • Key Hole Vision
  • M&A more a cross country race then a marathon or a sprint
  • Admiring the beautiful flowers and driving in to an oncoming truck
  • Controlling the “BEAN Counters” in M&A
  • M&A & Marriage Divorce Rates
  • Selling in a telephone box
  • In search of the five legged sheep
  • DIY M&A = Crafted Skills or Amateur Bodge
  • Culture Misfits
  • The M&A Process as a Runaway Train
  • Magic M&A Truth Serum

This will be in addition to the latest M&A news within this industry as it happens (or very soon after dependent on my work schedule). Go to the RSS feed above on the right so you can be automatically notified as a new blog post appears.

No comments:

Post a Comment